09 September, 2014

More plants . . . Thoughts from the heart of the house . . .


When I was small, I was always terrified whenever I saw a bee or heard one buzzing near me.  I was convinced that their only purpose in life was to sting me.  Now, of course, I know better.  I just love to see the bees buzzing around the plants as I'm working in the garden or just looking around as I was late this afternoon.  I never manage to capture them in the photos somehow but if you look carefully, you can just make out a bee disappearing inside this fuchsia flower . . . 

 Dazzling dahlias!  I've only really begun to appreciate dahlias over the last few years.  I only ever thought about the tall varieties and whilst they are undoubtedly very attractive, I knew I'd never find the time to stake them and look after them properly.  As a result I don't think I ever had any dahlias in the garden before about five years ago.  What a waste!  I just love these smaller bedding dahlias and they are such good value. They've been flowering  for ages and will  go on doing so right up to the first frosts.

Roses again, I've recently become re-acquainted with.  I always thought they were rather over-rated. How wrong can one be?  Another great value flower for the garden. There are so many different types, there's always a style, a habit and colour that is just right for your situation.


I've realised now - its' only taken about twenty years or so - that it's a good idea to plant up a flower-bed close to the house and visible from a  window in a room you are often in. This means that even if it's cold and wet and you don't feel like wandering in the garden, let alone working in the garden, you  always have something interesting and hopefully, beautiful to look at.

Our garden is quite small but we have a good view of my favourite plants from our kitchen window which is probably where I spend most of my time. Also the view from the spot where I do the ironing is another favourite!

No comments:

Post a Comment