13 January, 2013

Spring is not that far away . . .

I love this time of year, not long after Christmas, when I suddenly realise that the garden is coming back to life again after a bare Winter.

I noticed a few weeks ago that our very early daffodils by the front door were making their usual encouraging appearance at the beginning of the month.  Now they are well on their way with buds already formed.



Even an old pelargonium in a tub that I hadn't got around to re-potting at the end of the Summer seems to have survived and even looks like it might put on a show again this year.


But where it is most noticeable that things are stirring is in the rockery.  What has looked like just a covering of fallen leaves up to now, is now interspersed with shoots pushing their way through the leaves and of polyanthus beginning to flower.  So encouraging!






But what excites me most of all, despite seeing it every year, is the sight of all the new buds on our camellia.    I remember buying this plant so many years ago as a tiny plantlet in a 4" pot from Woolworths (do you remember them?) for the grand sum of 99p if I remember rightly.  It must be nearly 20 years ago, I think.  It's done really well.


I know we'll probably have snow and certainly frost before Spring arrives, and we'll lose  a lot of these buds, but I also know, from past years, that more will replace them and we'll have a splendid display in early Spring.

All these signs fill me with joyful anticipation.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful: you are well ahead of us! Snowdrop leaves just appearing through the frosty soil...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes,fascinating isn't it how we can chart the passage of Spring from SW England through the country to the NE and NW with weeks in between as the soil is warmed by the increasing hours of sunshine?

    ReplyDelete