11 November, 2012

Childhood memories . . .

I have been catching up with our parish Facebook page and I see that our PP has been reminiscing about attending Benediction as a child and in particular about a familiar hymn which inevitably brings back memories.



This caused me to think about music that evokes memories of my childhood.  I suppose the parallel in my childhood would be this:


Or, perhaps this:



I remember feeling very grown-up accompanying my mother to Evensong on dark Autumnal Sunday evenings.  Isn't it funny how things you learned as a child, stay with you for ever  . . . ?

I have been a Catholic now for about 25 years but it's taken me ages to get used to the translation of the Magnificat and the Nunc Dimittis I find in my breviary. Yet, the translation that I sang as child trips off my tongue without a second's thought.


3 comments:

  1. How lovely, Mrs Rambler - thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry, Perpetua. I've only just seen your comments. Thank you so much. I just never expected anyone to look at my blog, let alone take the trouble to post a comment. I'm honoured :-)

    ReplyDelete